When I was recently asked the seemingly simple question, “What do you like?” I found it really difficult to answer. What do I like? Like many of you, I can think of five the things I don’t like without a moment’s hesitation, bullies; bad manners; peanut butter; housework and going to the dentist, but to come up with 5 things I do like, well, that’s more tricky! Nonetheless, I’ve never been one to shy away from a challenge, so after much deliberation, I decided to write a list. So here goes:
5 things I like (in no particular order)
1. Writing my blog. There’s little more daunting than settling down with a newly sharpened pencil in my hand, an eraser at my side and a blank sheet in front of me, but as the rush of ideas start to pour into my mind and flow out onto the page, I experience a creative release washing over me. Addictive!
2. My morning cup of green tea. It started as a ‘health’ thing but has now become a pleasurable weekday ritual. I boil the kettle, dunk the teabag into my favourite mug, inhale the aroma and carry my brew into the garden to sip as I watch the birds and just breathe. Meditative!
3. Boogie-boarding in the sea on a weekday morning with a long-time friend. My pleasure is immeasurably increased by the startled looks of the trim, young sun-seekers as we march purposefully into the waves, boards under our arms.
The joy of skimming over the surface of the waves and that “How old am I, again?” thought as I haul my aging, bedraggled body from the shallows to do it all over again is … unbeatable!
4. Chocolate. Any kind, anytime, anywhere! Heavenly!
5. Meryl Streep singing, dancing and bouncing on the bed in Mama Mia. Inspirational!
And because I’m now on a roll and can’t stop thinking of things I like:
Books; travel; romantic dinners; romantic movies; the ballet; ice-cream; lazy Sundays; white wine; fun times with friends; knowing what’s important and what’s not;strawberries … the list is endless, but most of all I like you, dear reader!
If you feel inspired, leave a list of 5 things you like in the comments section!