I recently read a blog post entitled “40 things to do before I’m 40” and the more I thought about it, the more the concept appealed to me. There are, however, two fatal flaws. Firstly, my 40th birthday is an ever increasingly dim memory and secondly, even if I rejigged the idea to be “60 things to do before I’m 60”, the 3 months I’d have to achieve these goals might well prove fatal to more than the ideas!
Luckily, just as I was poised to abandon the notion, inspiration struck! What better way to mark a new year than a list of fun activities to be achieved in the coming 12 months?
These would not be called New Year resolutions as my track record with this annual tradition of metaphoric self-flagellation and real-life deprivation is woeful! I barely reach lunchtime on 1 January before “eat healthier” is gobbled up in a large tub of ice-cream, while “no more alcohol” has drowned in the bottom of my wine glass long before dinnertime! Instead, henceforth, each new year will be marked by a list of Inspirational Endeavours designed to inject fun and positivity into my days!
So here is my 2016 list:
- Take a trip to Thailand with good friends
- Ride an elephant
- Raft down a river
- Eat street food on 2 different continents
- Swim under a waterfall
- Visit 3 places in South Africa that I’ve never been to
- Go up in a hot air balloon
- Learn to mosaic
- Learn a few useful phrases in Portuguese (ready for my trip later in the year)
- Write from my heart
- Watch the sun rise at least once (guess who’s not an early riser !)
- Read at least 12 life-affirming books (heaven!!!)
- Learn to make sushi
- Embrace my individuality (watch out world!)
- Only buy/wear clothes that make me feel happy
- Practise random acts of kindness
Okay, so I must admit that I’ve already planned a few of these, but as they will be achieved in 2016, they still count.
So that you can follow my progress (or lack thereof) and make me accountable, this blog post will appear in a separate tab and I’ll cross out each item as I achieve it. I will write about some of the points, while others will be quiet achievements but hopefully by 31 December 2016, the list will be completed and a new, more authentic me will be born.
I’d love to see your list of inspirational endeavours for 2016, even if it’s just one thing! If you mention it in the comment section, I’ll follow up later in the year and see if you’ve achieved it. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!